Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tidbits




I had to put this picture up (from our trip to Cancun this past January)... I just can't stand the cold anymore. Seriously wondering about putting the house up for sale and moving to (gasp!) California. That would be a switch, wouldn't it??? Wonder how many Californians are going to be saying "Damn Idahoans - they need to go back home!" after this winter.



We did manage to break into the 40s today - I think the high was around 43 degrees. And the sun made an appearance for the entire day. I was able to get a good ride in, although I feared a bit that I may melt from the sun - my exposure has been so little over the last few months. Felt a bit like a mole coming out of its hole, unsure what to do in the blinding light of the sun. Need some serious intravenous vitamin D, I think!



My ride started out great. Perfect weather (I use the word "perfect" loosely, of course...everything relative to what not perfect weather we've had), good legs, a mild headwind on the way out instead of on the way home (making the return home much more enjoyable). I thought today I would just post some interesting "tidbits" that made their way into my mind during my time in the saddle tonight: Why my ride was great today (in no particular order):





  • As I said, I started out with a slight headwind. Usually this would be the norm for heading west, but lately, as with everything weather-related, the norm is nowhere to be found. The past couple of weeks with this particular route has found me heading out with a slight tailwind, which lulls me into a false sense of security ("hey, I feel strong today, I'll go out for 35 miles") - only to be crushed by the prospect of heading back home into a relentless headwind by myself, wondering when the heck I can get off this bike...

  • Only 2 semis reeking of cow manure passed me on the highway, instead of the usual 67, making for a much more pleasant experience of the open road with my usually open-mouthed breathing

  • The ride started with sunshine and what could've been 45 degrees or more in certain spots, which meant that my toes actually stayed approximately body-temperature until about 3 hours into the ride

  • I found the sprinting legs that I thought I had misplaced yesterday. They surfaced when I found myself suddenly chased by two big-ass (translation: 120+ pounds) dogs intent on making me their dinner. Either that, or they just have spring fever, too, and saw an easy target in me. I imagine they're probably yucking it up in their doggy house tonight over a couple stiff ones, "Yeah, did you see her face?!" I must be emitting some kind of "chase me" pheromone, because I can't remember a ride where I've been chased and barked at by so many dogs. I honestly think that owners who don't keep their dogs controlled need to be subjected to regular walks in an unfamiliar neighborhood, where we would randomly release critters to chase them down the road for a few hundred yards...

  • Hauser lake is still frozen over. It was quite a weird, beautiful juxtaposition of the sunlight and warmth reflecting off the ice that seemed to be eating boats alive - like their owners were somehow caught off guard with the oncoming winter and their boats were left to fend for themselves.

  • I actually saw a big Dodge king cab pulled off the side of Hwy 53 (with Idaho plates) for the sole purpose of watching a herd of white-tailed deer in the field. I was thinking I should sell tickets to our place - offer some cheap drinks and a lounge chair - to see the herds that come through our front lawn and eat everything in sight. And there would be bonus footage of the 20 turkeys that use our lawn as their restroom of choice. Stupid wildlife.

  • I actually made it through the entire ride without any flip-offs, without getting yelled at to get off the #$%*@!* road, and without getting "mooned." Don't know if I've had such an uneventful ride all year yet!

  • I learned how to ride without hands! Granted, it was only for about 20-30 seconds to zip up my jacket, but it means that I'm continuing to evolve into a better rider!


All in all, it was a great ride, in spite of the fact that my iPod managed to shuffle all the most obscure songs that I'd forgotten I had on there (think Sarah McLachlan's "I'll be Home for Christmas" followed by Jurassic 5 followed by Rob Thomas followed by AC/DC followed by REO Speedwagon follwed by Harry Nilsson's "Lime in the Coconut"... you get the picture). Man, I've got to come up with some play lists instead of counting on the shuffle feature!!



Here's to more great rides and the death of winter!

No comments: