Friday, May 23, 2008

Mother's Day

The perfect Mother's Day: A ride with the family to dinner at MoonTime!
I fell in love with this Electra Amsterdam 3-speed cruiser at the Interbike show in Vegas last September. I continuously begged Mike for it...

Mother's Day has come and gone, I realize, but I needed to make special note of my day...
It started with Alli insisting that I stay in bed, and as hard as I tried to sleep, she came in about every 10 minutes or so, wondering if I was ready for breakfast. She kept asking me what I'd like, and finally I told her I'd take a bowl of granola. This sent her scrambling to ask Mike to run to the convenience store, because we were apparently out of milk! Soon enough, a little tray (aka my cookie cooling rack covered with a homemade placemat) appeared at my bedside, with bowl of granola and obligatory Diet Coke (I know - but I don't drink coffee!!!). She sat in bed with me and we chatted while I ate my Mother's Day breakfast in bed.
Later I was able to go for a ride, and we ended the day with a ride down to MoonTime for dinner. Mike surprised me with a new cruiser bike. I'd been asking for it for a couple of months, salivating over it in the shop. I kept "hinting" that it would make a good Mother's Day present. A week or so before Mother's Day, Alli and I were walking into the shop, and I asked her, "Did you tell Daddy that I needed that bike from you guys for Mother's Day?" She looked at me a little funny-like and said, "Well, I told him you wanted it, not that you needed it." I laughed, "Alli, to a woman, want and need are the same thing." She doesn't get it yet...
So, my old cruiser is at the shop for sale, and my new ride sits proudly in the garage. All 3 gears, rim-drive headlight, powder blue leather grips and saddle. Can't wait to attach a basket or two for trips to the beach this summer!


No comments: